"For life is more than food"

"FOR LIFE IS MORE THAN FOOD"
REMEMBER: THE KEY TO A DELICIOUS AND YUMMY DISH IS "ALWAYS" FRESH INGREDIENTS!

August 05, 2013

PHILIPPINE CULINARY CUP 2013 "A PRECIOUS MILESTONE"

I need to set aside my two more posts for the subject "Bringing Singapore into your Plate" series as I cannot contain the emotion I still have right now, it's already four days ago when I stood in the cooking arena in SMX for the Philippine Culinary Cup. It was indeed a wonderful learning experience. Like what I have been saying, it's not about the winning or the accolade but more of the fulfillment as I took the courage to stand and compete with other contenders. One precious milestone to consider is the chance to meet the world-renowned chefs from different region. I was really starstrucked as I get to see them in flesh. Much even more fulfilling to stand up there and be judged by them. It was really an awesome experience. I cannot forget the moment during the briefing where Resorts World Executive Chef and Host for the AFC's the "BIG BREAK" Chef Allan Orreal gave his words for us competitors and how he taught us some tips on doing our stuff when we are already in the cooking arena.

Chef Allan Orreal looking into my recipe, such a privilege to be judge by world - renowned chef.
Another milestone to consider is the chance to be with other food lovers I should say, because they wont be on the same place as I do if they don't love foods right?. Chefs or other non chefs (students and like me) joined together to bring out our passion and show our talent and skills in front of hundreds of people around. The acquaintance and being able to build a short term friendship is another marvelous experience. Not to mention the favor I asked from them to like my page hahaha. 

New friends

New acquaintance
Chef Allan Orreal and Master Butcher Barry Lloyd during the briefing
Two to three days before the competition, I was really very nervous because I was so clueless of how the competition will be. I was really occupied by a lot of things like, how is it going to be once I get in the cooking arena, how will I be able to perform well in front of many people, how will my dish going to turn out and will the judge like my entry and an endless list of what if's and how will. But during the competition day, upon entering the cooking arena, all my anxieties, fears and nervousness was all flown away. I felt like the main kitchen is just my kitchen at home. As the timer started, I didn't waste any single seconds as we were given only 60 minutes to finish our dish. My entry for this competition is called "Beef Karubi in Cous Cous bed with two sauces, Avocado Ssamjang (chilled sauce) and Avocado Cream Gravy (warm sauce). 

Write up about the recipe:

This recipe is a fusion of Western and Asian cuisine in one plate. Karubi Beef served with cous cous and avocado cream gravy makes the Western style while fresh vegetables served with avocado ssamjang sauce gives the Asian twist. Combining the sauce is the avocado, which I took advantage of the fruit in season.
My entry

Cooking Ina in action

If you are going to ask me if I will still join the competition next year, well my answer is a big "YES"! and if you are going to ask if I am going to pick the same category, I would still say "YES"!....I will join next year and my training and practice for my next entry will officially starts now. And why would I still choose the beef category? Because I need to make it perfect before I can say I am a beef expert. I will research and try to innovate different beef recipes using the inexpensive beef cuts like the beef blade and the knuckles. If I will be able to bag something on the beef category, then that will be the time I can only say that I am a beef expert already.


My overall experience is so wonderful and marvelous. I will treasure that moment out there in the kitchen arena and will be forever proud that I have taken the initial stage to fulfilling more of my passion and a continued journey to wonderful world of culinary art. 

Next year, I will be standing again on this same spot to compete in the kitchen arena
having participated in the competition is more than a privilege and an opportunity


 
Cooking Ina

And more than anything else, I would like to thank the LORD for the wonderful experience and for having continuously pouring upon me the blessing of knowledge and wisdom. For giving me the time and talent to share with other people. To my family, Junjun and Princess for supporting my passion and to my number one fan up there who serves as my inspiration, Lawrence...you will forever be loved and remembered! To my parents and siblings (along with their wives) who supported me all through out and to all my friends who contributed and supported me to make all these things possible!!Thank you!!!!May GOD bless us all! 







No comments:

Post a Comment