"For life is more than food"

"FOR LIFE IS MORE THAN FOOD"
REMEMBER: THE KEY TO A DELICIOUS AND YUMMY DISH IS "ALWAYS" FRESH INGREDIENTS!

July 08, 2013

HAWKER STYLE INSPIRED CEREAL PRAWNS

When I had the chance to visit Singapore last year, I was able to taste one of the best loved dish which you can find in the Hawker area. Hawker area by the way, for those people who are not familiar what does Hawker means, it is an open air food centers in Singapore and other parts like Malaysia and China. If I understood it correctly, the "Boss" or the owners of the stalls in Hawker area were the ones who hold the secret of authentic Singaporean dish. Well true enough, I enjoyed so much eating in the Hawker area compared to the restaurants inside the mall. Food served in Hawker costs less compared in the restaurant.Its inexpensive yet delicious and flavorful. One of the dish I enjoyed much was the Cereal Prawns. This dish is truly a winner when it comes to taste. The mixture of all the ingredients are well blended and I must say, on every bite, there is a feast inside my mouth. Check out my version and hope you too could enjoy the Cereal Prawns as much as I do.

Enjoying the humongous serving of Cereal Prawns
INGREDIENTS:

10-15 pieces extra large prawns
1 cup oatmeal (any kind) in Singapore, they use other kind of cereal which I don't think is available here locally in our market. I will try to look where to find that cereal and will update as soon as I can
2- 1 cup butter
15-20 pieces of curry leave- I think this is the secret, when you fry this leaves over a hot butter, the aroma infuses and you feel like you are in heaven in a minute. Sadly, we also don't have these leaves here, and surprisingly, I explored the next best thing to use and that is Kaffir lime leaf. It's equally aromatic and the taste is also good. Well if you will ask me, if we have curry leaves here, that would still my choice.
1 cup flour
salt and pepper
Bird's eye chilies
1 tbs sugar

PROCEDURE:


  1. Clean the prawns by removing the horn only, not the whole head.
  2. Cutting the back area of it to remove the black portion or the intestines on its back.
  3. Do this for the rest of the prawns.
  4. After cleaning,  season with salt and pepper and toss it with flour like a breaded prawns.
  5. Put the butter on a pan and fry the prawns until its cooked and golden brown. Set aside.
  6. On another pan, melt the butter and put the kaffir lime leaf and the chilies (this is what I used in this recipe) until you can smell its aroma, do not over cook. Immediately following the cereals, continuously stirring until it turns golden brown then add the sugar.
  7. You can say that the mixture is ok when you see them folding together and looks like they are already sticking together.
  8. Add the prawns carefully and allow the mixture to stick on to the prawns. 
  9. When everything has been coated perfectly. Serve as a main dish or an appetizer. Enjoy cooking!!

My version of Cereal Prawns

upper image is the butter with kaffir lime leaf and chilies , then the flour  and the prawns coated and fried



No comments:

Post a Comment