"For life is more than food"

"FOR LIFE IS MORE THAN FOOD"
REMEMBER: THE KEY TO A DELICIOUS AND YUMMY DISH IS "ALWAYS" FRESH INGREDIENTS!

April 05, 2013

CHICKEN AFRITADA FILIPINO CLASSIC

I was looking at my picture files and trying to pick the next best thing to post and there I came across another classic dish. It's called Chicken Afritada. I honestly not into traditional Filipino cooking but because it is a call of duty of being a mom and a wife whose very much into traditional Filipino dish, so there I was in the kitchen doing what I need and love to do. It's our irony in the kitchen, three against one. My husband and two kids against me, I prefer out of this world dishes, inventing and innovating, while them, like what I have said is into traditional Filipino dish. So much so of the kitchen conflicts, I'll start it off by introducing you to my next recipe called "Classic Chicken Afritada". (By the way, this dish is so easy because my last post about the chicken curry recipe, I just replace the curry powder with tomato sauce and the procedure and ingredients are almost  the same).

Classic Chicken Afritada
Ingredients

1/2 kilo Chicken 
2 Medium sized potatoes sliced into cubes
1 medium sized carrots sliced into cubes
1/4 kilo Baguio Beans/Green Beans
1 pc Red/green Bell Pepper
1 cup Tomato Sauce
2 tbs minced garlic
1 medium size onion
Salt and Pepper
Bay Leaf
Fish sauce

Procedure

  1. Fry the carrots and potatoes in oil then set aside.
  2. In a pan, saute garlic and onion then put the chicken and seared. Cook until tender
  3. Season with fish sauce and add the bay leaf.Let it simmer for awhile.Then put in the tomato sauce and the vegetables.
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve


Another dish so simple yet very flavorful and hope your family will enjoy, just as our family did!Happy eating!!



2 comments:

  1. We have the same passion in cooking and I must state the unfair advantage of living abroad is we have access to affordable ingredients that are commonly expensive back home. But it is a double sword advantage I must say because the stuff that are staple in our home town cost like gold in here :-(

    When you live solo (like me) abroad, festive meals like this is a chore when you can simple press the fastest take-out restaurant number on your speed dial. So on occasions or weekends when friends get to come over for a visit, I never fail to include this in the menu. I called mine "Fiesta Afritada" due to overload ingredients that are easily available at the convenience store down my bldg though I have to skip the baguio beans (only available on grocery stores or super markets). I replaced it instead of fresh button mushrooms that I quartered and sauteed in butter until it browns. I fried my potatoes, carrots and seared the seasoned chicken then do the proper cooking process. I add chicken or beef broth and half cup of tomato paste instead of tomato sauce. In my opinion, tomato paste gives better consistency and color. I let all the flavors simmer and then include the green peppers, frozen green peas, dried sweet sultanas (raisins will do) and a quarter cup of grated cheese with patis and pepper to taste. Para na syang kaldereta minus the liver spread and the pickle relish. It is really good! In fact, it is one of Daryl's favorite pinoy dish.

    One dish that always made me drool when I visit your FB page is your version of "Beef Pares". I hope you could blog on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Besty, Beef Pares will be my next blog!

      Delete